Friday, June 3, 2011

This weeks Excerpt

 

 
DANCE WITH ME
Amanda never was one for the club scene.
In a moment of weakness she let her
friends and co-workers talk her into
joining them.

That's where all the trouble started.
He saw her. She was not his type.
He liked them easy. Martin Cole
would not take refusal lightly,
especially by a woman. He insisted
she dance with him.

 
The setup: Once Martin spied Amanda he was determined to have her. She, however, thwarted all he moves. Taking firm action in his own behalf his corners her and demands a date.

He knew she was very uncomfortable with him. So, he tried to low-key it in her presence. However, somehow he found that harder than he thought. It just wasn't in his nature. He had grown used to people listening and jumping to his every word. Especially women, they kissed his feet. They fought to get him to glance their way, but not this one. What he could not figure out was his attraction to her, in spite of it, or because of it?
Every now and then her hand shook. Her fear of him annoyed him. He began search to find ways to calm her down.
Amanda, I don't bit you know.”
No,” she snickered at him in disbelief.
His sense of humor came through again, “Ok, I bite, but I promise I won't bite tonight. They have the best salmon here. Do you like fish? May I take the liberty of ordering for you?”
If he thinks he's going to take charge well he's in for a surprise. Unexpectedly she found her courage and she attacked.
What do you know about my three friends? I think their missing and some how you're involved.”
There it was again that flash in his eyes. Then it was gone. This time replaced with surprise.
Do you mean Amy, and her two associates in crime? I didn't know they were missing. What makes you think so? And why do you think I had anything to do with them missing or not? You don't know me well enough to accuse me of anything?”
You opened up the can of worms, so better just charge ahead.“Well, for one thing I have not heard or seen from them since Friday night. Today, all three didn't show up for work and Susan has never ever missed a day since she started. When I left the other night I was upset with all of them, but now that I recall, they seemed scared of something, and you are that something they were scared of. Aren't you?”
I can assure you I did nothing to cause any one of them to become frightened of me. And you don't know me well enough to infer anything like that.”
You're right, I don't know you well enough and I don't know you well enough to just take your word for it either.”
He decided he would enjoy this. Settling in to the booth adjusting himself to get more comfortable. He watched her wait for his reply.
Well, let's see what I know. I know your, Amanda Winston. You’re from New Mexico, your twenty-six, birth date June second. You're an only child, both parents died in an auto accident when you were twelve. Your aunt raised you, she died two years ago. Sorry about that; loosing someone you care about hurts.
I know your ex- boy-friend Fred, was a two-timing s.o.b. Good choice in dumping him by the way. You work at Fox and Sons Advertising, and have been there for three years, and next month you're up for a promotion. If you ask me nice I'll make sure you get it. Do I need to tell you your driver's license information, or do you get the point?”
The point being you're a nosy son of a...”
Oh, look the waiter is here,” cutting her off.
Dan, please bring us two glasses of white wine. Two oyster soups and two salmon dinners make mine blackened and my lady takes her's broiled, light on the butter. Oh and, she wants the baked potato, instead of fries, with the sour cream on the side. Right honey?”
Got it all, Mr. Cole.” The man turned and walked away.
Once the waiter was out of ear shot Martin turned back and said. “Close your mouth, Amanda or the staff here will think you're a simpleton.”
Following his instructions she drew her mouth closed, and expected this 'dinner date,' to get actually get worse, as if that was possible.
Have you ever been to Argentina?” he asked and slowly begun to engage them both in conversation.
By the time the entrée arrived she was laughing. He had begun to tell her jokes. The jokes from his school years. The what do you get if you mix this with that and a few knock- knocks jokes.
Oh looky a recipe for Lemon pepper Blackened Salmon...YUM

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
  • 4 salmon fillets
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Whisk together the butter, lemon juice, parsley, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir in the peppercorns. Dip the salmon into the sauce so the flesh side is coated, and set on a plate,
  3. Heat the olive oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil begins to smoke, add the salmon, placing it skin side up into the skillet. Cook for until the flesh is seared and golden brown, about 1 minute. Place the skillet into the preheated oven, and cook until the salmon flakes easily with a fork, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve immediately. *http://allrecipes.com
With a full belly we can now return to our story.
He had the waiter bring the wine bottle, and refilled both glasses several times. He asked for chocolate cake for dessert even though she begged I can't eat another bit.
Open up,” he said holding a piece of cake between his fingers and touching her lips. It was open her mouth or get a messy smeared face.
Dark penetrating eyes stared deep it to hers as he licked the chocolate remnants from his fingers after they had been in her mouth. He saw the minute she became uncomfortable again. Only he knew this time it wasn't from fear. She was responding to him and it surprised her.
Knocking her off-balance again he said, “I know it's still early, but I got work to do at the club, if I'm to leave in two days. Don't be offended if I take you home early, Ok.”
No, No that's fine. I had a hard day, and early is just fine for me too.”
He did not drive back to her office. When she realized he indeed was taking her home to her own place (Does he really know everything about me) she reminded him about her car.
Just give me the keys. It will be in the driveway come morning.” It was not a suggestion. It was not an offer. It was a command and for some reason she rummaged through her purse, pulled out the key, separated it from her other keys and placed it on the console between them.
Thank you, for a nice dinner.” At the same time she tugged at the door handle, listening for it to unlock she pushed it open and climbed out. He jumped out from the driver's side and chivalrously walked with her to the front door.
Panicking, that he would try to kiss her good-night she rushed to unlock her front door.
Without turning to face him she repeated, “Thanks for a nice time, good night.”
He knew her game and decided not to push.
I'll see you when I get back. Ok?”
She didn't answer meaning she wasn't sure. Not answering meant to him, sure Ok.

To find out if Amada ever softens up to Martin - it's in the book

You can find my other books there as well! Thank you for stopping by.

 Here are the authors I recommend.  Check them out!

Lia
#samplesunday 3 free chapters of an #Amazon top 100 #bestseller in Drama  http://bit.ly/lNCCHr 10 Reviews, 4 1/2 star average. #IAN1 Plz RT

Faith 
#SampleSundaycookoff Faith's Pineapple and Minced Pork Curry & excerpt from The Assassins' Village http://bit.ly/elLVfj Pls RT 

Mel's  
#samplesunday chap 3 of my fast-paced #thriller, #crime plus a stir-fry #recipe http://ow.ly/5a0eQ @melcom on offer at 86p/99c. PlZ RT.
Seb's 
#samplesunday, this week's Indie guest is Seb Kirby and a sample of his thriller Take No More. http://ow.ly/5a0mm PLZ RT.

Moonshine 
Indie authors Summer Moonshine Deals http://tinyurl.com/67jcdz3 Great new writers on Kindle #readers #ebook #bargain #book

Seb 
Hot news! Top amazon Kindle thriller Take No More now just 86p http://tinyurl.com/6l2aeod One month only! #booklook #kindle #thriller

Sarah's
A Naiad, a smile, and Strawberry Daquiri. http://ow.ly/5acIP #samplesunday #samplesundaycookoff #recipe #kindl

0 comments:

Post a Comment